Welcome to Tabor
Our community is located in northern Fremont County, Iowa 9 miles south of Highway 34 on Highway 275.
Tabor, Iowa was established in 1852 when three Ohioans dreamed of building a Christian College similar to the one in Oberlin, Ohio. Iowa, the western frontier, seemed the perfect place. A college where even in the 1850s all races and genders were accepted. George B. Gaston, Samuel Adams and the Reverend John Todd together founded Tabor.
The first house built in Tabor was George B. Gaston’s home on the SE corner of Park Street and Orange Street in 1852. The Samuel Adam’s home soon followed, also in 1852. The third home was that of Rev. John Todd, built in 1853. The Todd Home, still in its original location at 705 Park Street, is now known as The Todd House Museum and Underground Railroad Station.
In 1854 an elementary school was built, followed by the Tabor Academy in 1857 for secondary education. By 1866 the founder’s dreams became reality when Tabor College opened on September 4, 1866.
The growing national railroad system in the 1870s inspired the people of Tabor to find a way to connect their town to that system. In 1890 the Tabor and Northern Railway, aka T & N, began making its 9 miles twice a day trek from Tabor to Malvern and back. This railway connected Tabor to the Burlington Line in Malvern, enabling Southwest Iowa to connect with Omaha, Chicago, St Louis and even further.
The first Farmers & Merchants Picnic began in 1931 and continues today as an annual celebration and connection of our farm and business communities. It is usually held the last weekend of June, with many fun happenings for both children and adults. Food, entertainment, games, parades, flea market and a carnival to name some of the good times.
In addition to the picnic, a Farmer’s Market is held during the summer, The Holiday Lighting Festival in December and several fundraising events throughout the year.